Date : 14th September 2006



Opposition : Leithen Rovers



Competition : Border Cup



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 6
2 Stuart Kelly Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 8
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
5 Duncan Morrison Centre Half 7
6 Mark Bolton Centre Midfield 8
7 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 7
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 8
9 Graham Kelly Striker 7
10 Graeme Turner Striker 5
11 Jack Windram Left Wing 6




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Des McKinnon For Jack Windram 60 Mins 7
14 Steven Christie For Andrew Ponder 105 Mins 6
15 Chris Young For Graham Kelly 70 Mins 6



Score : 5 - 4


Scorers : S.Shennan (3), G.Kelly, J.Stobie


Bookings : 3


Sendings off : 0





Chirnside travelled to Innerleithen on Saturday to face the current league leaders and previously unbeaten Leithen Rovers in the Border Cup. The away team had to make two enforced changes from the team that won at Langholm last Saturday with Hume and Turner returning in place of Logan and Heads.


Chirnside started off the brighter of the two teams with Bolton hitting the bar following a corner. After 20 minutes Chirnside thought they had taken the lead but Windram's goal bound effort was cleared off the line by a defender. Against the run off play the home side took the lead. Luggett could only parry an effort from the edge of the box and the centre forward was the quickest to react placing the ball home with ease.


Leithen Rovers increased their lead on the half hour mark when slack marking at a corner allowed the centre half to head into the roof of the net. Chirnside were still playing decent football and they were rewarded when Bolton played a ball over the top and G.Kelly fired a shot into the bottom left hand corner of the net.


Into the second half the home team increased their lead following a dubious corner decision their central midfielder cracked a shot from all of 30 yards that dipped into Luggets left hand corner. The away team never let their heads drop and Shennan scored twice to take the game into extra-time.


Leithen Rovers went back into the lead in the first period of extra-time when the centre back took advanatge of a slip at the back to head home the home teams fourth. Chirnside hit straight back and after Ponders corner on the left was only partially cleared Stobie struck an unstoppable left foot strike from 18 yards.


The away team now had their tails up and added a fifth when Shennan slipped past his marker and fired into the net to complete his hat-trick. Chirnside held on for a hard fought victory and moved into the next round. Co-Manager Graham Bolton said: "It was a bit of a rollercoaster game but I'm pleased with the performance and the effort we put in. Stobie's strike was a bit special, he fired it in just like Jorg Albertz."