Date : 9th September 2006



Opposition : Hawick United



Competition : League



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 5
2 Jamie Stobie Right Back 7
3 Chris Young Left Back 5
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
5 Duncan Morrison Centre Back 7
6 Mickey Snowball Centre Midfield 7
7 Mark Bolton Centre Midfield 6
8 Martin Donaldson Right Wing 6
9 Steven Shennan Centre Forward 8
10 Graham Kelly Centre Forward 5
11 David Heads Left Wing 7




No. Name Comments Rating
12 David Bolton On for G.Kelly 65 mins 4
13 Gavin McLean On for Donaldson 80 mins 2
14 Pete Morrison Not used .
15 . . .
16 . . .



Score : 7 - 3


Scorers : S.Shennan 2, G.Kelly, M.Snowball, Own Goal, M.Hume, M.Bolton


Bookings : 2


Sendings off : None





Chirnside travelled to Wilton Park with high hopes of recording their first victory of the season against the newly promoted Hawick United Side.


Chirnside started this game brightly and with in a matter of minutes M.Bolton had a Golden chance to put Chirnside in the lead from a Hume free kick but squandered the chance. The next 15 minutes saw chances arrive thick and fast for the Chirnside’s two strikers G.Kelly and S.Shennan. The first of half a dozen chances for the front pairing arrived to Kelly who when clean through with just the keeper to beat tamely passed the ball into the keeper’s arms another two chances from similar positions for Kelly, resulted in a similar result. Shennan then had similar chances to Kelly but again woeful verging on shocking finishing, kept the scores at 0-0.


The breakthrough finally came for Chirnside when Kelly sent Shennan through to score the opener. The second goal was then to follow when Shennan returned the favour to Kelly by sending him clear to score his first goal of the season. This seemed to spur Hawick on and they started to put some flowing moves together and put the Chirnside back four under pressure for a good ten minutes. There continuous pressure finally paid off when a shot from there midfielder which was going straight to Hume took a deflection off Stobie and landed at the strikers feet to tap in. This made Chirnside slightly edgy but there two goal lead was restored when M.Snowball was went through, however he missed the initial shot with the keeper saving well but showed great industry to delicately chip the goal keeper from the resulting rebound. This gave Chirnside a 3-1 lead at half time.


The second half started again with G.Kelly missing another Golden chance to further increase Chirnside’s lead. The game then went through a 15 minute period where Chirnside appeared to switch off and Hawick came back into the game creating some half chances but the failed to convert these into goals. With the game turning very scrappy Chirnside got a corner which C.Young swung in and appeared to be an easy clearance for the Hawick defence, but the ball then appeared to hit Shennan on the back of the head and bounce in front of the goals which resulted in the Hawick defender putting the ball into his own goal to make it 4-1 to Chirnside.


Chirnside’s next goal was soon to follow when they were awarded a free kick to the right of the goals on the edge of the box. Mark Hume the stepped up and duly rifled a left foot shot into the top corner to make it 5-1.


The next 10 minutes saw Hawick pull two goals back in quick succession as Chirnside went completely to sleep, with Stobie giving away a penalty and then Bolton giving away a free kick that again resulted in a goal after Chirnside failed to close down the ball quick enough when the free kick was taken.


After weathering the storm Chirnside managed to get back into the game with M.Bolton showing his most productive spell of the match. First he went close with a snap overhead kick that went just past the post. Then another chance came and went for Bolton when Hume flighted in a great free kick to the back post, Bolton somehow managed to miss the goals completely when scoring looked easier. However the outcome from the header was to result in a goal mouth scramble which ended up with the ball falling to Bolton who had made himself to the edge of the box and he rifled in a great first time half volley to make it 6-3.


The final goal of the game again came from Bolton who provided a great pass to Shennan who then duly smashed the ball into the net to grab his second goal of the game and make the final score 7-3.


Although Chirnside won the game comfortably in the end, Hawick Utd made them work hard for it. Chirnside will need to improve dramatically if they want to be challenging for honours at the end of the season, as performances like this will see them struggle against the top of the table sides.