Date : 2nd September 2006



Opposition : Gala Rovers



Competition : League



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 5
2 Stuart Kelly Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 Duncan Morrison Sweeper 7
5 Gary Logan Centre Back 8
6 Craig Dishington Cetnre Midfield 6
7 Mark Bolton Centre Midfield 5
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 7
9 Graham Kelly Cetnre Forward 5
10 Andrew Ponder Centre Forward 5
11 Jack Windram Left Wing 6




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Des McKinnon . .
13 Martin Donaldson On for Steven Shennan 75 Mins 4
14 David Heads . .



Score : 1 - 1


Scorers : Gary Logan


Bookings : 5


Sendings off : None





Over the 90 minutes this is a game that Chirnside felt they should have won, but at the same time were lucky to get away with a point.


Chirnside started with the wind on their backs in a downpour of rain that was to last the full 90 minutes. Chirnside started brightly with half chances falling to G.Kelly and Shennan. As the game progressed Gala Rovers were finding it increasingly difficult to make any impact as Chirnside continued to attack. The best chances of the first half soon arrived for Chirnside with Bolton missing from ten yards with the goal gaping, G.Kelly hitting the bar with a powerful drive from the corner of the 18 yard box and new signing Gary Logan putting an effort wide of the goals after a flick on from Morrison from a Bolton Corner. The first half then ended with the score still level at 0 – 0.


The second half started with much the same pattern as the first, with Chirnside on the attack and G.Kelly soon had a chance to put the home side in front when Shennan managed to retrieve a poor clearance by the Gala goalkeeper and was able to lay it on for G. Kelly who 18 yards out with an empty goal gaping blasted wide, when a side foot shot would have been the better option.


This miss seemed to spur the Gala Rovers players on and they soon had Chirnside on the back foot for the next 15 -20 minutes where they had a few long range efforts and one effort which rebounded off the post. The Gala pressure was soon however to pay off in somewhat unfortunate circumstances for Chirnside who had looked to have weathered the storm, a seemingly harmless cross which was going into the arms of the Chirnside Keeper Lugget was then spilled by Lugget and the resulting melee saw the ball break to a Gala player to put it in to the back of the net to make it 0-1 to the visitors.


With 20 minutes to go Chirnside began to find their attacking rhythm again but still failed to score until the last five mins where Bolton flighted in a free kick to the back past for Gary Logan to send a looping header over the Gala keeper into the net to salvage a point for Chirnside.