West Barns Star 1 v Chirnside 2 1989


Report from Berwickshire News


Cup glory for Chirnside


West Barns Star 1 Chirnside 2


Chirnside Football Club enjoyed one of the biggest days of their history on Saturday when they lifted the coveted Tweeddale Press Group South Amateur Cup.


Celebrations continued into the early hours of Sunday morning as many of the villagers joined in to toast the Club's success. The final against a strong West Barns side was no classic but the result did the Berwickshire side justice for they fought hard throughout the 90 minutes.


In very warm conditions, the large crowd which included a huge travelling support from Chirnside, saw West Barns dictate the play early on. The game was played at a furious pace but the Chirnside defence stood firm against the early attacks. Chirnside's best chance came after 10 minutes when a good run and cross by John Wood was flicked on by Haigh but his effort was brilliantly turned round the post by the West Barns keeper. From the resulting corner Waddell headed just over.


West Barns went close when their centre forward shot over the bar but they were creating some good moves with their winger in particular quite effective. However Waddell, Anderson and Blacklock dealt with all that was thrown at them.


The opening goal came on the half hour mark with a good move down the left. Doddy Blaikie's cross to the far post was missed by everyone and John Wood's shot was flicked in by Neil Rutherford. Chirnside could have increased their lead almost immediately but Bolton's shot was smothered by the keeper. At the other end West Barns had a shot cleared off the line in a goalmouth scramble.


In the second half chances went abegging at both ends. The Chirnside back four were in outstanding form and it was going to take something special if West Barns were to score. With 15 minutes remaining Chirnside got the all important second goal. From a corner Waddell's header was stopped on the line but Keith Haigh volleyed home the rebound.


West Barns battled on and in injury time they grabbed a consolation goal but it was all too late, victory was Chirnside's.