Date : 13th September 2014



Opposition : Tweeddale Rovers



Competition : League



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Rating
1 Jason Lugget 7
2 Martin Donaldson 5
3 Daniel Romaines 6
4 Ryan Wood 6
5 Ethan Pollock 6
6 Sean Lackenby 7
7 Daniel Pattenden 7
8 Paul Blacklock 5
9 Jake Lough 6
10 Jed Crombie 6
11 Jordan Wood 5





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Brandon Pollock on for Ethan Pollock 65 mins 6
14 Michael Pattenden on for Sean Lackenby 75 mins 7
15 Kieran Turner on for Jed Crombie 70 mins 7
16 Dennis Smolenskij on for Jordan Wood 55 mins 6
17 Gary Buchan on for Ryan Wood 85 mins 4




Score : 1 - 4



Scorers : Daniel Romaines



Assists : Martin Donaldson



Bookings : 0



Sendings off : 0





Penalty decision turns game away from Colts.


Chirnside Colts played hosts to Tweeddale Rovers on a hot sunny day for their first home game of the season. Tweeddale with a new look side since being relegated from the A division had a good balance of youth and experience in their team.


The game started off at a fast pace as Colts pressed forward down the flanks, with Lough and Lackenby providing several dangerous crosses early on. Tweeddale announced their arrival in the game with a stinging effort Luggett pushed round the post. The game was end to end for a period with half chances made at both ends, but Colts maybe having the better of the play.


The deadlock was broken however by Tweeddale as a slick one two on the edge of the box set up the Tweeddale midfielder to sweep the ball home with a curling shot right into the side netting. A little shaken by the goal Colts gave Tweeddale a further 2 clear efforts at Luggetts goal which the keeper kept out.


Several minutes later Colts settled down again and then Jordan Wood missed a clear chance scuffing his effort wide. But the scores were level a minute later as the old combination of a Martin Donaldson free kick met by a towering Dan Romaines header at the back post. Colts seemed the better team once again after the leveller, but on the stroke of half time the ball was cheaply giving away by Jordan Wood leaving Dan Romaines out of position from his forward burst. The big Tweeddale striker expertly round Luggett to make the half time score an unfair 2-1 to Tweeddale.


Again Colts started the half the better team with Lough and Daniel Pattenden providing crosses that Crombie and Lackenby were unfortunate not to make the most of. But the spell of possession provided nothing for Colts as against the run of play Tweeddale counter attacked into the Colts box and Martin Donaldson poked the ball away from the striker, followed by the striker flinging himself into the air with a scream. The referee 50yards away from play was taken in by the deception and awarded the spot kick. The big Tweeddale striker duly tucked away the spot kick to make the score 3-1.


The Colts lost their way in the game and stopped making the passes into key areas where they were causing damage before. Tweeddale full of confidence were stroking the ball from side to side waiting for the Colts to get frustrated. This allowed them to create several chances that were stopped with last ditch challenges from Martin Donaldson and Ryan Wood. When Colts finally managed to create another chance Smolenskij was denied by a superb stop from the Tweeddale keeper. The ball was hacked away deep into the Colts half and Martin Donaldson badly misjudged the bounce clearing the way for goal number 4 and the end of the Colts challenge.


The colts took the opportunity to use the substitutes and give them some much needed game time and experience. The game was not a total loss as the Colts will learn some valuable lessons and can take heart they out played Tweeddale for several spells in the game.